Do You Have Dyscalculia And How Do You Get A Diagnosis?

Photo by Scott Graham on Unsplash

Recently someone got in touch with us through the blog about how to get a diagnosis of dyscalculia, more specifically for adults. The person who contacted us as with many others has lived their life believing that their difficulties with maths was all their fault, this is largely due to the dyscalculia only being recognised fairly recently and so a lot of people went undiagnosed. Finding out that it is a real learning difficulty is a great relief for them, its also not just a relief but a chance to find a way to challenge dyscalculia because once you know you have it you can treat it.

If you think you may have dyscalculia I would recommend going to get a full assessment with an Educational Psychologist through the British Dyslexia Association, although they are mainly focused on dyslexia they also test for many other disabilities including dyscalculia.

Unfortunately the assessments of dyscalculia and dyslexia are expensive as the NHS does not treat it as a medical issue, its normally priced around £450, you can try a quick online test before you go ahead and book it.

I hope this helped and please keep an eye on our blog; we constantly try to stay up to date so if you think we should cover something leave a comment!

6 thoughts on “Do You Have Dyscalculia And How Do You Get A Diagnosis?

• November 17, 2020 at 9:42 am

Well I think it’s terrable that you have to pay I’m 48 and still go blank at basic maths and wanted to find out

• November 17, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Hi Nicola, It is shocking and very disappointing that many people have to pay for a diagnosis. But depending on where you live and your situation you might be able to get a free diagnosis, it’s very difficult to research but I could try looking for you?

• November 17, 2020 at 8:58 pm

That would be nice to get a free diagnosis I live in stoke on trent, do you know if it is free. It would be much appreciated.

• November 18, 2020 at 11:42 am

Hi Nicola, I took a look into this and it looks like you have one possible route. That is to contact The Dyslexia Association of Staffordshire – Their educational psychologists should also be qualified to diagnose dyscalculia – and ask them about the possibilities of having dyscalculia assessment either subsidised or free. http://localoffer.stoke.gov.uk/kb5/stoke/directory/service.page?id=w5pENy8HIw4

I hope this helps and let me know if I can do anymore 🙂

• December 10, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Hello James,
    Do you think that you could look into a route for me too? I am 25 and live in Brighton UK, I desperately would like a diagnosis as this has affected my confidence for so long now and to finally get an official diagnosis would honestly change my life.

I have looked into this recently but the prices are around £600!

Georgia

• December 11, 2020 at 10:36 am

Hi Georgia,
      Of course, I can take a look 🙂 Are you a student by any chance?