Do You Have Dyscalculia And How Do You Get A Diagnosis?

Photo by Scott Graham on Unsplash

Recently someone got in touch with us through the blog about how to get a diagnosis of dyscalculia, more specifically for adults. The person who contacted us as with many others has lived their life believing that their difficulties with maths was all their fault, this is largely due to the dyscalculia only being recognised fairly recently and so a lot of people went undiagnosed. Finding out that it is a real learning difficulty is a great relief for them, its also not just a relief but a chance to find a way to challenge dyscalculia because once you know you have it you can treat it.

If you think you may have dyscalculia I would recommend going to get a full assessment with an Educational Psychologist through the British Dyslexia Association, although they are mainly focused on dyslexia they also test for many other disabilities including dyscalculia.

Unfortunately the assessments of dyscalculia and dyslexia are expensive as the NHS does not treat it as a medical issue, its normally priced around £450, you can try a quick online test before you go ahead and book it.

I hope this helped and please keep an eye on our blog; we constantly try to stay up to date so if you think we should cover something leave a comment!

20 thoughts on “Do You Have Dyscalculia And How Do You Get A Diagnosis?

• November 17, 2020 at 9:42 am

Well I think it’s terrable that you have to pay I’m 48 and still go blank at basic maths and wanted to find out

• November 17, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Hi Nicola, It is shocking and very disappointing that many people have to pay for a diagnosis. But depending on where you live and your situation you might be able to get a free diagnosis, it’s very difficult to research but I could try looking for you?

• November 17, 2020 at 8:58 pm

That would be nice to get a free diagnosis I live in stoke on trent, do you know if it is free. It would be much appreciated.

• November 18, 2020 at 11:42 am

Hi Nicola, I took a look into this and it looks like you have one possible route. That is to contact The Dyslexia Association of Staffordshire – Their educational psychologists should also be qualified to diagnose dyscalculia – and ask them about the possibilities of having dyscalculia assessment either subsidised or free. http://localoffer.stoke.gov.uk/kb5/stoke/directory/service.page?id=w5pENy8HIw4

I hope this helps and let me know if I can do anymore 🙂

• December 10, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Hello James,
    Do you think that you could look into a route for me too? I am 25 and live in Brighton UK, I desperately would like a diagnosis as this has affected my confidence for so long now and to finally get an official diagnosis would honestly change my life.

I have looked into this recently but the prices are around £600!

Georgia

• December 11, 2020 at 10:36 am

Hi Georgia,
      Of course, I can take a look 🙂 Are you a student by any chance?

• August 20, 2021 at 11:20 am

Hi James.
    I wonder if you can help us.
    My eldest daughter was diagnosed with dyscalculia in yr8 after a long battle with her school to do a dyscalculia assessment for her.
    My other daughter has exactly the same maths issues as her sister and I asked the school again to do a dyscalculia assessment. They asked her 4 questions and said that it is unlikely she has dyscalculia like her sister.
    I am a single mum of 3 and on a low income.
    I would like a private assessment for my daughter but this is so expensive.
    Would you know if I would be entitled to get this done any cheaper? I live in Uxbridge, Middlesex.
    Many thanks

• August 20, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Hi Sharon,

I will try my best to help! It sounds very odd to only ask 4 questions to come to a conclusion especially as – depending on your daughter’s age – she may already be masking signs of dyscalculia, as someone gets older they can hide it more and so it can get trickier to diagnose. I will have to do some research into whether your local council provides financial support for diagnosis, frustratingly this can be very different from area to area. I will get back to you as soon as I can 🙂

• August 24, 2021 at 8:05 pm

Hi Sharon,

Unfortunately, it’s bad news I searched high and low but I couldn’t find any reduced cost/free diagnosis in your area. The only way is to continue with the school or alternatively if dyscalculia is creating problems to do with your daughter’s wellbeing such as mental health, it may be possible to get a diagnosis on the NHS – but this can be an even more difficult process than the school. The cheapest I’ve seen recently in your area for a diagnosis is £500, I don’t know whether some places might spread the cost?

• August 20, 2021 at 7:19 pm

Hello, I live in Springfield, Mo. I’m taking college courses and I just cant seem to pass Math. Ive been told I have Dyscalculia but I want an official diagnosis. Is there someone in my area that can help me?

• September 14, 2021 at 1:57 pm

I didn’t know about dyscalculia when I failed calculus 2 and physics my second year of college. I seemed to always have issues with swapping signs, reversing number orders, and having to take remedial maths to get to where my peers were math wise.

I was frustrated, and before I tried to start working towards a bachelors degree again I tried to nail down why I was struggling with math and text anxiety around tests with maths. I found dyscalculia, and it made sense. I already struggled with dyslexia (most of my family does).

I had to develop some serious coping skills to make it through my bachelors degree in Computer Engineering. I wasn’t sure you could even get an official diagnosis or I would have. Engineering as you know is very maths based, so getting through my program and earning my degree was hard but I did it!

Dyscalculia made it harder than it should have been but I’m glad I figured it out so I could at least figure out how to learn better.

• September 15, 2021 at 9:18 am

What a wonderful story Seth, really congratulations on your achievements!

• September 23, 2021 at 3:10 am

Hello, I’ve seen a couple of comments on the possibility of free/subsidised testing by area and wondered if you could point me in the right direction. I’m a student at university in Northampton but am originally from East London. Could there be anyone in either area who could maybe help?

• September 23, 2021 at 11:13 am

Hey! As you are at university you can get a free/subsidised test through their student support services. Is it the University of Northampton you are studying at? If so you can contact student support here – https://www.northampton.ac.uk/student-life/support/student-support-and-advice-team/ – and they should guide you on your next steps. I also found this quote on their site in relation to a Dyslexia diagnosis – there should be no reason why this would not also apply to a dyscalculia diagnosis

Students can apply to the Financial Assistance Fund (FAF) (access restricted to current students) for up to £350 to help towards the cost of their diagnostic test prior to applying for Disabled Students’ Allowance.

Hope this helps and let me know If I can help you further 🙂

• September 23, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Hello! Yes I’m at Northampton Uni, I saw that quote but wasn’t sure if dyscalculia would be on the radar. I will email and ask to see what can be offered, thank you!

• October 4, 2021 at 7:08 pm

Hi, thank you for posting this. Could you possibly give me some help/advice? I’m 17 and have an initial screening test indicating that I have Dyscalculia. I am in the midst of applying to University to read Econ and I would appreciate a full Dyscalculia diagnosis as it would enable me to explain my comparatively low result in Maths (I did well in everything else) and seek the support I will need. I live in West Yorkshire, Calderdale and I go to school in Manchester. I asked the school SEN department for advice however they do not test for Dyscalculia, I did however receive a processing speed issue diagnosis. Any help appreciated! Can I get a free/subsidised test anytime soon?

• October 5, 2021 at 9:53 am

Hi Louisa,

Thanks for your questions, I will try to help you the best I can 🙂

May I ask does your school have access to an educational psychologist?

Educational psychologists can diagnose dyscalculia and should be available to the majority of UK schools, if they do not have access to one then it is the role of the Education Authority (EA) in your region to carry out assessments – more information here https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/special-educational-needs-assessments

The other more stressful alternative is waiting and hoping you get the place you want at University as they all have Student Support departments that handle things like dyscalculia diagnosis and then you will get the full support you need whilst you are on the course.

Let me know if this helps and if I can assist you further! 😊

• October 10, 2021 at 9:32 am

I am 35 and I definitely know I have dyscalculia. I always did so well in written subjects but my math teacher and science teachers could never understand how I did not do well in their subjects but did really well in Biology! I do work but will this be eligible to apply for PIP since getting a official diagnosis is so expensive?

• October 11, 2021 at 9:26 am

Hi Rox,
      You need an official diagnosis before applying for PIP and even then as far as I have read online it may be unlikely you will get PIP with only dyscalculia. Let’s look into how to get you a free/discounted diagnosis so that you can get more support – Could you let me know your local council area and if you are part of any studying or courses?

PIP is a very tricky process and you would need to show that your dyscalculia is so severe it impacts your quality of life, now we know that dyscalculia severely impacts all corners of our lives, but when it comes to PIP you need evidence of this and that can be difficult to do. But in saying this it’s really worth trying, this website has some good information and links to the government guidelines on PIP – https://dyslexiaa2z.com/learning-difficulties/dyslexia/dsa-pip/

Hope this helps 🙂